Teachers! Your class is invited to the library! Public library programs help children maintain literacy skills learned at school by encouraging good reading habits.
Class visits are often held in September and June. The September class visits introduce children to the library. June class visits introduce children to the TD Summer Reading Club.
What does my class do during their visit?
- Learn about the library and its services
- Enjoy listening to a story
- Look for an interesting book to take home (students must bring their Region of Waterloo Library card to borrow books)
- Get a library card registration form if you don't have a card
How do I book a class visit?
- Contact the library branch three weeks before anticipated visit
- Suggest several dates/times, school name, number of students/staff/volunteers visiting, ages of children, special needs, and preferred focus of the visit
- Library staff will contact you to arrange the visit and send library membership application forms for students without library cards (due back 2 weeks before visit)
- Cancellations must be reported asap
In Elmira, Grand River Transit offers a free bus pass for first time class visits. Contact the branch for details.